Silver is a valuable metal that it very versatile and though the ages has been used to produce an extremely wide range of items from practical pieces such as teapots and cutlery to intricate jewellery. When considering the value of silver items there are different factors to consider and examine.
Is the item silver or silver plated. It is sometimes the case that an item appears to be silver when actually it is silverplate (this means the item only has a very thin coating of silver, a silverplated item unfortuanetly is not as valuable as silver). If the item is silver it may well be sterling silver. Sterling silver is an alloy which consists largely of silver (around 92.5%) and the remaining 7.5% is another metal (pure silver is very soft and as a result it is not practical to produce items).
Modern or antique silver. Is the item antique or modern? Antique silver items do tend to carry more value particularly if they are from a respected maker or have unusual/collactable hallmarks. Hallmarks are many and varied but can provide some real insight into an items history such as an items maker, year and location of construction.
Discreet Private Antique Sale
When selling the family silver, important antiques and jewellery, from my aristocratic and well-known family; we required a discreet private sale. After a great amount of research and searching the internet for dealers and auctioneers, we found the phenomenal agent Vernon Ward. After initial meetings, we instructed Vernon to sell our immense array of family heirlooms. Vernon is a real pleasure and wonderful to work with, his knowledge is outstanding, he exceeded our expectations by a long shot. I cannot recommend Vernon enough; his personality and knowledge are second to none. We will most certainly be doing business again, I wouldn’t ever contemplate using anyone else
Name not shown for client confidentiality, Brighton & Hove
Excellent service for antique silver
Vernon was so helpful when I wanted my antique silver valued. He was extremely knowledgeable and helpful with assessing my family’s silver. Highly recommended!
Natasha P - November 2019
Vernon was knowledgeable, likeable, honest, and straightforward
Vernon was recommended to me by a good friend when we were looking to sell off some family jewellery and silver and heirlooms. He could not have been more helpful and provided an outstanding service from the first phone call to the close out of the transaction. Knowledgeable, likeable, honest, and straightforward, Vernon's whole approach was very professional and undoubtedly saved me a very considerable sum in auction house fees and related charges. I would have absolutely no hesitation in using his services again and would strongly recommend him to anyone looking for a personal and very high quality service.
Air Vice-Marshal Bob Judson
Dear Vernon, I write to thank you most sincerely for carrying out the valuation of the society's trophies during the South of England show.
Not only was this a considerable amount of work both in research and in valuing each of the trophies, but you operated in a very confined space where the trophies are displayed in the members pavilion. A challenge in more ways than one!
We are most appreciative of your expertise in valuing each trophy and for the detailed valuation documents which describe each trophy with weight and value.
We note that you have calculated the revised valuation figures realistically allowing for fluctuation for the next 10 year period.
Vernon, we are most grateful to you for all your help and assistance and for the professional manner in which you have carried out this task.
With Kind Regards
Deborah J Barber (MBE)
Original letter held by Vernon Ward
Vernon was chosen above all leading auction houses and insurance companies to undertake this highly important documented report and schedule. Which consisted of silverware such as Silver salvers, silver candle sticks, important and rare silver statues, silver trophies, silver tea sets and much more and Vernon was recently approached by a London Firm of Solicitors acting on behalf of an estate for his services to reassess silver to the value in excess of seven and half million pounds.
Items sold range from as low as £50 to the highest being in excess of £300,000 to a private collector